Support Morecambe Bay
Morecambe Bay is a precious and unique landscape and we welcome your help to preserve it. So how can you help? There are lots of ways, big and small, that you can help to keep the bay beautiful for wildlife to live here and people to visit.
- Take your litter home with you
- Keep to designated footpaths
- Ensure countryside gates are closed behind you
- Please don’t have barbeques or light fires
- Don’t go out into the bay without a designated and experienced guide
- Refrain from picking wildflowers and plants or taking stones from the the shore – take only photos!
Help with Beach Cleans
Morecambe Bay Partnership runs regular beach cleans and they’d love to see you – it’s a great way to help your local environment, meet new people, and get some fresh air!
Equipment (pickers, gloves, bags) is provided at every event, so all you need to do is dress for the weather and wear some sturdy shoes. Children are always welcome but under-18s do need to be accompanied by an adult. All events begin at 10am and last 1.5 – 2 hours.
There are regular beach cleans from March to October at:
- Morecambe Lodge
- Hest Bank
- Sunderland Point
- Middleton Towers
- Potts Corner
Donate to Support the Bay
Morecambe Bay is beautiful but people must be careful on its shifting sands and in its choppy waters.
- Morecambe RNLI’s Lifeboat and Hovercraft are invaluable in the fast tides and on the mudflats of the bay. Their experienced crews do a sterling job keeping people safe in the bay – whether they are enjoying leisure time or making a living on the sea. You can donate to the RNLI here.
- Bay Search and Rescue is a volunteer team and charity based in Flookburgh. Its highly-trained crew and specialist rescue vehicles work alongside the other emergency services to ensure people use and enjoy the bay safely. Donate to Bay Search and Rescue.
- Donate to Morecambe Bay Partnership. Your gift will care for nature and heritage sites, create new access routes, and celebrate the environment through art. One of the current projects being funded is to save the habitats and nesting sites of the curlew. This beautiful bird with its haunting cry is one of the iconic sights of Morecambe Bay.
Volunteer as a Conservationist
Do you have a passion for the environment? Archaeology? Birds? Disabled access? Being outdoors? If you share a love for the Bay, you can help through volunteering for one of Morecambe Bay Partnership’s projects, which help to care for the unique and special landscape of Morecambe Bay by preserving the nature and heritage, cleaning up the landscape and supporting people to get out and about into the countryside.
Volunteer tasks include:
- Clearing litter from beaches
- Maintaining cycleways and routes for all-terrain mobility scooters
- Recording oral histories
- Protecting habitats for roosting and nesting birds
Find out more about each of the projects:
- BeachCare – part of the LOVEmyBEACH project
- Nature and wildlife
- Heritage and archaeology
- Bay Cycle Way
- Trampers and disabled access
Volunteer for the RSPB
The RSPB works closely with its valuable team of volunteers to maintain the reserves, communicate with members and visitors, liaise with the media, fundraise, interpret and inform on-site, help run events and groups – and lots more! Whatever your talent, skill or interest there is sure to be a volunteering opportunity that will suit you. Some can even be done from home! You can browse for opportunities here.