Getting Around Morecambe Bay
Whether you’ve arrived by train, bus or car, we can help you get around the bay easily.
Morecambe is a picturesque seaside town and is best explored on foot. The bus station and railway station are within easy walking distance of all local amenities. Download one of our self-guided heritage trails or walking guides from our website.
Safety in the Bay
- Wanting to take part in a Cross Bay Walk? This is a stunning way to see the bay but make sure you do this only with a guide – the sands can be dangerous!
- Find out more about visiting Morecambe Bay safely! Watch our very informative video about the rapidly-moving tides in the bay – produced by Purple Videos in conjunction with Silverdale Parish Council, Bay Search and Rescue and Lancaster City Council.
There are frequent bus services between Lancaster and Morecambe and into the surrounding areas. Visit the Stagecoach website for routes and timetables.
Morecambe offers over 5 miles of flat promenade, perfect for a leisurely cycle. For the serious cyclists among you, Morecambe is also one end of the famous Way of the Roses cycle route, a 170 mile coast-to-coast cycle route which passes through the historic cities of York and Lancaster before ending in Bridlington on the East coast. Check out the Way of the Roses website for more information. It is also on the picturesque Bay Cycle Way route.
Don’t forget to visit our Getting Around Morecambe page for details on cycling in the district.
The Lancaster Canal is only a few miles from Morecambe and provides some scenic walking and cycling routes out into the countryside. You can see Lancaster and one of the wonders of the waterways by taking a trip on the Lune Aqueduct Cruise.
Taxi companies in the city centre can transport you easily around the district and surrounding countryside.
- 848 848 Radio Taxis – 01524 848848
- 32090 Taxis – 01524 32090
- Coastal Taxis – 01524 60000
- A1 Taxis – 01524 35666
If you are enjoying a longer stay in Morecambe then there are many different destinations within Morecambe Bay to explore by train. Head north to explore Carnforth, the Arnside and Silverdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and further afield to the beautiful coastal towns of Grange Over Sands, Ulverston and Cark & Cartmel.
Visit Trainline to search for and book your tickets.